Dinner last night seemed to be a hit. It was easy enough to make, but like many recipes the instructions are more of a suggestion than a requirement. The recipe idea was courtesy of Adventures of a Gluten Free Mom with the original recipe from The Whole Gang. I am horrible about remembering to use my camera, so that is one thing I will work on. Taking pictures of my creations (and my children too). The original recipe is as follows, with my changes noted.

I’m not generally a fan of boxed Hamburger Helper, so thankfully this tasted nothing like that of the box stuff. It was almost like a super simple and easy one skillet pasta with meat sauce dish. A definite keeper.

Homemade Hamburger Helper


1 pound organic local ground beef (I used 1.5 pounds to feed 2 adults, 2 children and a toddler. There were enough left overs for both adults and the toddler to have for lunch the next day)

8 oz package of organic sliced mushrooms (We had a large Costco sized package of mushrooms, so I just used “some”)

1 1/2 cup pasta shells or elbows-gluten free (Tinkyada Penne is our go to brand for GF pasta when I don’t make homemade, and I used the whole pound… maybe I should read all of the instructions before starting rather than skimming through these things.)

2 cups hot beef stock (Because I used the whole pound of pasta, I also used a whole box of stock, so more like 4 cups. And it was room temperature, not hot, well because I just didn’t have that kind of time last night.)

1 15 oz can of tomato sauce

1 TB tomato paste 

2 tsp minced toasted onion*

1 tsp minced garlic*

1 tsp oregano

1 tsp basil

1 tsp parsley


Brown the beef and drain the fat.  Toss in the mushrooms and mix well.  Add in the tomato paste and combine.  Add in everything else except the parsley. Mix well and bring to a boil.  Cover and turn down to simmer for 14 minutes.  When the time is up mix in the parsley and serve.  (I ended up cooking mine for more like 20 minutes or until the pasta was just slightly al dente. The pasta continues to cook and absorb liquid as it sits, so I turned off the heat before it was 100% finished)